Split Mung Beans with Spinach All dals (except moong), produce gas and the tarka or chhaunk (ghee flavoured with spices), is what nullifies this while making the dal easier to digest. It is important to include the tarka in all lentil preparations.
1 cup mung beans (moong dal) 1 bunch spinach leaves (palak) 2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped (tamatar) 1 green chilli, chopped (hari mirch) 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger (adrak) A pinch of asafoetida (hing) ¼ tsp cumin seeds (jeera) ¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi) Salt to taste (namak) 1 tbsp clarified butter (ghee) 1 tbsp lemon juice (limbu)
1. Soak the moong dal for 20-30 minutes.
2. Wash the spinach leaves thoroughly, drain and remove the stalks.
Chop the leaves fine.
3. Heat the ghee in the pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds. Once
they splutter, add the asafoetida, turmeric powder, green chillies
and half the ginger. Fry for a minute. Add the tomatoes and cook till
4. Add the moong dal and chopped spinach and mix well. Add 3½ cups
water and pressure cook for one whistle. Remove from heat and
allow the steam to escape.
5. Garnish with chopped coriander and ginger and serve hot.