LAUKI KI SABZI Bottle Gourd
The three doshas move in a cycle through the
day and night, each dominating specific time periods. Kapha predominates from about 6 am to 10 am, followed by Pitta from 10 am to 2 pm, and then by Vata from 2 pm to 6 pm; and again in the same order through the evening and night. When the body is in balance, Kapha moistens, lubricates and strengthens the system in its time; Pitta digests and transforms the food during its slot; and Vata causes the movement of energy and communication between different systems during the period of its domination. The human life cycle also moves through periods of Kapha domination (growth during childhood); then Pitta (vigorous energy, fiery ambition and action); followed by the Vata period when we grow older.
500 gms bottle gourd (lauki) ¼ tsp
cumin seeds (jeera) ¼ tsp turmeric
powder (haldi) A pinch of asafoetida
(hing) 1tsp finely chopped ginger
(adrak) Salt to taste (namak) 1-2 tsp
lemon juice (limbu) 2 tsp clarified butter (ghee) METHOD
1. Peel the bottle gourd and chop into 1” pieces.
2. Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds. Once they splutter, add the turmeric powder, asafoetida and ginger. Give a quick stir before adding the bottle gourd. Mix well and add 2-3 tbsp water and salt. Pressure cook for one whistle, then reduce heat
to allow it to simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and allow the steam to escape. Check if done.
4. Add lemon juice and adjust seasoning if required.
5. Serve hot with rotis or parathas.